Monday, July 14, 2014

SHOW REVIEW: YO GOTTI AT XCLUSIVE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER

I was excited when I heard that one of my favorite artists, Yo Gotti was going to be performing at Xclusive Entertainment Center here in Columbus. My last concert experience there wasn’t a good one, but my fears were assuaged when I learned that this was a ticketed event and that no money would be accepted at the door. However, they did end up taking money at the door, and that ended up being a good thing.

One of my BFFs is also a hardcore Gotti fan and was totally down for paying the $50 ticket price (you could also get VIP to skip the line for $125, or VIP with a bottle for $250) so we were going to cop our tickets, but then we heard that another local radio station was having a text-to-win contest for tickets and a meet and greet with the rapper. Being that I run all of the station contests here at Pulse Radio, and know how the text club thing works, I decided to text in, and she did as well – and she won the tickets and the meet and greet! We were excited. Until no one called her to tell her how to get the tickets or when the meet and greet would be.

My bestie has a job that makes it hard for her to make personal calls, so I called the radio station on her behalf – and they didn’t even have her name on the list! The receptionist found her name somewhere, told me where the meet and greet would be, and I confirmed that the prize was +1. Side note: When I set up OUR contests, this is done under a specific text word so I know exactly who entered and won – and unless we need to pick a different winner, then the system sends a text to the winner(s). I expressed my concern to her when I texted in and only got the standard reply about joining the text club. My guess is that they picked their winners from the phone numbers of people that texted in, wrote it down and transferred the names to another list.

We arrived at the station’s studios at the designated time, only to be told that the meet and greet was cancelled until 9pm. That was fine as we still had some shopping to do. Around 5pm they called my BFF and told her that the meet and greet was cancelled. I was super disappointed – because I REALLY wanted to meet Yo Gotti in person.

As we pulled up to the venue later that evening, we were happy to see that the parking lot was as full as it is for the #PulseInvadesPrime events that Pulse Radio is there for every 1st Saturday. The line was rather long, but it moved quickly. Security was tight, there were metal detectors in place, and security personnel had wands to swipe you once you stepped through the detector. With the increase of violence in the clubs lately, I was glad to see that Xclusive was doing their part to ensure that their patrons were in a safe environment. Bestie and I sashay to the counter to check in – and learn that all of the winners except for 2, were only given ONE ticket. The lady that was taking money said she knew who I was because of #PulseInvadesPrime, but she couldn’t do anything. I was upset because who the hell gives away ONE ticket to a concert? Here at The Pulse, we ALWAYS give away a pair, and I had CONFIRMED that it was +1. I forked over the $50 and noticed that we had walked into a semi-empty club. Already having this experience at the same venue (we walked into the Elite side) I was unsure what would happen as far as the crowd goes.

I have to assume that a lot of people bought VIP tix because once the adjoining door was opened around midnight, and the people on the Elite side filed over to Xclusive, it was pretty good crowd. The first thing I noticed when we got in, was that the stage was set up with drum sets and lighting equipment. I was intrigued and was able to relax because it was evident that a show would be happening – or maybe it was the really good drinks, and the tunes by DJ Dru. Either way, my excitement for the show came back, and for good reason.

Although Gotti made the traditional club show arrival around 1am, he put on a GREAT show to a PACKED house. Accompanied by drummers, backing tracks, custom lighting and effects, he performed hits from his last album I Am, one of my favorite mixtapes, Cocaine Muzik 7 (The World is Yours) as well as some of his other past songs that Yo Gotti fans were eager to hear again. The crowd was stuck on Gotti’s every word, and rapped along to each song effortlessly. Not only is the 614 fans of Gotti’s, we also apparently love Meek Mill. As Gotti stated “Free Meek Mill”, he launched into Mill’s Intro and the crowd went crazy.



Gotti dropped his newest song “Errrbody” less than 2 days before the concert, and the attendees, myself included already had the song memorized. It’s definitely a banger that will continue to be in rotation on thepulse-radio.com.



I give the actual show 5 unbiased stars. The production was impeccable, the set list was great, and Gotti gave his fans their money’s worth.
To join the Pulse Radio text club for the opportunity to win tickets and prizes from our station, text ‘Pulse’ to 31996.

@Socialyte

This review originally appeared on http://thepulse-radio.com on 7/14/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment